Nagpur: A major mishap was averted when a brand new patrolling van – Chetak – of Imambada Police Station caught fire in the wee hours of Wednesday. However, no casualties were reported.
The Chetak van (MH-31/DZ 0498) was parked in front of DB Room of Imambada Police Station. Around 4 am, police personnel present in the police station were taken aback when the van suddenly caught fire. Even before cops could react and bring the blaze under control, the fire started engulfing the van. Fire Brigade was alerted about the fire. A fire engine reached the spot within minutes and doused the blaze but not before wireless set, seats, wiring totally destroyed. The loss was put at Rs 1 lakh, approximately. Had the fuel tank of the van caught fire it would have been a tragedy of greater magnitude.
According to police sources, the Chetak van was a brand new one. A short circuit is being suspected as the cause of fire. Higher police officials and Inspector of MT Section visited the spot and took stock of the situation. Cops were scanning CCTV cameras installed nearby for a clue. A senseless person could have thrown cigarette or bidi in the van sparking the fire. But preliminary scanning of CCTV footage did not point out the possibility.