Published On : Sat, Feb 27th, 2016

Video : How Kanhaiya was attacked in Court

Video by SC team reporting on court violence

NewDelhi/Nagpur: Jawaharlal Nehru University Students’ Union president Kanhaiya Kumar claimed that he was beaten and almost disrobed in the presence of police personnel in Patiala House Court premises. The alleged incident took place when a group of lawyers beat Kanhaiya, JNU students and mediapersons in the court premises on February 17.

Following the incident, the Supreme Court formed a team of five lawyers to submit a report on the law and order breakdown in the court where two group of lawyers were engaged in a brawl. Kanhaiya was also allegedly roughed up by lawyers before he was to be produced in court.

In the video accessed by CNN-IBN, Kanhaiya told the SC team that the police did not arrest the attackers even after he had identified them in the courtroom.

It is the first statement of Kanhaiya on camera after Patiala House Court attack. Narrating the incident, Kanhaiya said, “The media ambushed me as soon as I reached the gate. Then the police brought me inside. And then a man in a lawyer’s uniform attacked me and it looked like he was waiting for the moment, sitting in anticipation. The attackers were calling others to join them, and shouting, ‘he’s arrived’. They were all attacking me, so much so that I was almost disrobed in the process.”

He added that even policemen, who were accompanying him, were also attacked. Accusing the police of letting his attacker go free, Kanhaiya said, “I was already pushed to the ground by that time. In the meantime, there was this one man who ran into the adjacent room, and seated himself at the back of the room. I pointed towards him, and told the police that this is the man who was attacking me. The policemen asked the man for his identity, but he countered them, asking for their I-cards instead. The police did nothing to him. He could have been easily caught, but the police did nothing.”

Recounting the events of February 17, an emotional Kanhaiya said that he is a youngster, doing PhD in JNU and has full faith in the Constitution. “I told the policeman that I wanted to lodge a complaint against this man, but nothing happened. After that I was made to sit and was offered water. The professor wanted an explanation from the policemen, on how could I be attacked in their presence. I even told the judge that there was no attack on me the first time I appeared in court. I had no lawyer then. I am a youth, I am doing my PhD in JNU. I am being called anti-national and now I am facing trial by the media. I had told the judge that I have full faith in the Constitution. I was asked to undergo a medical examination, but the judge exclaimed that I could be attacked once again if I went out now.”

Kanhaiya’s lawyer Vrinda Grover and his faculty member Professor Himanshu also presented their version of events to the Supreme Court team.

“One man comes out, he is wearing dark glasses and a coat that is not the lawyer’s court. He is asked his name, but he says, ‘Why should I tell you what my name is!’ And he walks past. Nobody stops him. How did that man come in through security and how did he exit?” asked Vrinda.

Backing Kanhaiya’s claim of police inaction, the professor said, “Kanhaiya was pointing out that this was the man beating me, arrest him. But all three High Court officials allowed him to go. I was shouting at them to stop him, but they allowed him to go.”

Speaking to the Supreme Court team, the police officers were unsure of the sequence of events and gave different versions. While one officer said that he rushed immediately, the other claimed that he had no knowledge about the attack.

“I rushed immediately. I didn’t know they were the attackers. The attacker came with the escort party. He entered that room from the gate,” said New Delhi DCP Jatin Narwal, who was in-charge of Kanhaiya’s security.

Tilak Marg SHO Sushil Kumar, however, said he did not know about any attack. “I do not know anything about it.

In an attempt to come out clean of the controversy, Vasant Kunj SHO Virender Jain said, “We did not know how the attacker entered the room, we were with the accused. That person claimed to be the lawyer of the accused. I don’t know how or when the attack took place as I was inside,” said Kumar.

Delhi Police has come under fire over its inaction at the Patiala House court and is now seen passing the buck.

.. As Published by IBN-CNN