As one of the federal appeal courts in the United States ruled that most of tariffs imposed by Trump administration are not accordance with the laws, US President Donald Trump on Friday (local time) affirmed that all tariffs imposed on the countries will remain in effect, calling a recent ruling by a ‘highly Partisan Appeals Court’ incorrect.
ALL TARIFFS ARE STILL IN EFFECT! Today a Highly Partisan Appeals Court incorrectly said that our Tariffs should be removed, but they know the United States of America will win in the end. If these Tariffs ever went away, it would be a total disaster for the Country. It would make us financially weak, and we have to be strong,’ Trump said.
The remarks of the US President came after a federal appeals court ruled that the International Emergency Economic Powers Act does not authorise a President to impose tariffs like the ones Trump used the law for earlier this year, the Federal Circuit said in an unsigned opinion upholding a lower-court ruling against Trump’s tariffs, CNN reported.
The judges noted that Trump’s unprecedented tariffs are an overstep of his power because the ability to impose taxes, including tariffs, is ‘a core Congressional power’ that the Constitution grants to the legislative branch, as per CNN.
The US President warned that the country would no longer tolerate large trade deficits or unfair tariffs and non-tariff trade barriers imposed by other nations.
“If allowed to stand, this Decision would literally destroy the United States of America,” he added.
Ahead of the Labor Day weekend, Trump emphasised the importance of tariffs in supporting American workers and companies.
‘We should all remember that TARIFFS are the best tool to help our Workers, and support Companies that produce great MADE IN AMERICA products.’
Trump criticised past administrations for allowing tariffs to be used against the US.
‘For many years, Tariffs were allowed to be used against us by our uncaring and unwise Politicians. Now, with the help of the United States Supreme Court, we will use them to the benefit of our Nation, and Make America Rich, Strong, and Powerful Again! Thank you for your attention to this matter,’ he concluded.
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent had earlier indicated in June that tariff negotiations with the United States’ trading partners could conclude by Labor Day, though the legal uncertainty now complicates that timeline, CNN reported.
The White House defended the President’s actions on Friday.
Spokesperson Kush Desai said, “President Trump lawfully exercised the tariff powers granted to him by Congress to defend our national and economic security from foreign threats. The President’s tariffs remain in effect, and we look forward to ultimate victory on this matter