Nagpur: The City Unit of Shiv Sena on Monday hit the streets and demanded scrapping of Nagpur Improvement Trust (NIT) by saying that Nagpur City does not need two parallel development agencies. “In fact, the NIT is looting and torturing the citizens in the name of development,” declared local Shiv Sena leaders while launching an agitation at Variety Square to this effect. The former President of City Unit of the party Kishore Kumeria has also sent a letter to Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and demanded dismissal of NIT on behalf of hassled citizens.
“The Nagpur Improvement Trust is looting and harassing the plot holders in the name of either development or development schemes like 572 and 1900. Fed up with the dubious tactics of NIT the citizens have now started calling the NIT as ‘Rajkiya Arthik Paristithi Sudhar Pranyas’ (Political Financial Situation Improvement Trust). Hence such institute should be scrapped,” said the letter sent to Fadnavis.
“Nagpur City has two development agencies namely Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) and Nagpur Improvement Trust (NIT). There is no need for two development agencies in the city. NMC should be retained and the ‘useless’ NIT should be shown the doors,” said the letter signed by City Shiv Sena Chief Suraj Goje, General Secretary Local Body Institute and Corporator and Group Leader in NMC Kishore Kumeria.
The party highlighted following reasons for dumping the NIT:
• Nagpur is the only city in the country where NMC and NIT carry development works. This is injustice for citizens meted out by State Government.
• Despite recovering hefty charges in the name 572 development scheme the works have been left incomplete and of poor quality.
• Even though the development works of 572 are incomplete the development charges have been levied and recovered too in the name of 1900 scheme.
• Land of playgrounds and gardens have been donated to private institutes at nominal charges.
• NIT is neither recovering development charges nor regularizing the layouts despite citizens having permanent houses after 2002.
Citing such reasons and other dubious facts in the letter sent to Chief Minister the City Unit of Shiv Sena has demanded scrapping of Nagpur Improvement Trust immediately for relief of harassed citizens.