Chennai: Governor Vidyasagar Rao has asked Tamilnadu DGP to ascertain reports that many MLAs are being held captive in a resort near Chennai against their will. Cell phones have been jammed; there is no access to internet and they are also not being ‘allowed’ to watch TV. Of course, the resort is out of bound for visitors, especially journalists.
A while ago, five select MLAs came out to say there were not being held against their will.
There is also buzzing news that 15 MLAs of Sasikala group have reached out to opposition party DMK to explore possibilities of joining them! (They seem to have confidence in neither Sasi. nor OPS and after having spent so much money on getting elected do not want to spend money on elections again).
As of yesterday this was the status:
* The Governor has committed to neither side and is seeking more legal opinion
* In a relief of sorts for VK Sasikala, the Supreme Court will not be passing verdict in the Jayalalithaa disproportionate assets case, in which Sasikala is accused number 2, this week. The judgment in all likelyhood is expected to be delivered in the coming week. The judgment was reserved by SC in June 2016.
* AIADMK MLA E Madhusudhanan announced support for Panneerselvam, a big boost considering that he is party Presidium Chairman, the second most powerful person in the party after the General Secretary.
* Sasikala has claimed the support of 131 MLAs. Pannneerselvam says around 25 MLAs are with him and more will join. His camp said party MLAs have been “held captive” by Sasikala loyalists at a resort.
* Pannneerselvam announced plans to make Poes Garden, where Sasikala lived with Jayalalithaa for around 30 years, a memorial for the late CM.