In a marathon address to the nation from the ramparts of Red Fort, PM Modi on Saturday underlined India’s unity and diversity and said the poison of casteism and communal frenzy have no place in the country.
Modi, in his second Independence Day address, focussed largely on the issue of corruption and asserted that the steps taken by his government over the last 15 months to deal with the “termite” had started yielding results.
He said, “Be it casteism or communalism, there is no place for them. In no way can they be tolerated. There is simplicity in every Indian and there is unity in every corner of India. This is the strength of India. If the unity of India is destroyed then the dreams of the people are also destroyed.”
Modi also spoke about a number of initiatives to end corruption and bring transparency and proposed doing away with the practice interviews for small jobs, contending that this becomes a route for corruption.
During the 85-minute address, he talked about the much-anticipated ‘One-Rank, One-Pension’, however Modi failed to give any timeline on the implementation. He said, “The issue of ‘One Rank One Pension’ came up in front on every government. Some even made small promises. Issue could not be solved. I assure the servicemen and I am saying it under the Tricolour from the Red Fort- we have accepted OROP. ‘One-Rank, One-Pension’ is a long-pending issue, discussions are underway and in last stages. We will have good news on the basis of talks are going.”
Calling the country “Team India”, a team of 125 crore citizens that will take the nation to new heights, Modi added, “Jan Bhagidari (public participation) is the biggest asset of a democracy. Be it MyGov, letters from citizens, Mann Ki Baat, communication with people – people participation is increasing.”
The Prime Minister also added that there is a new atmosphere of trust among people. He said, “Last year I was new here, I had put forward what I hoped and dreamt for India. But now I want to tell you that Team India has new confidence. I assure you that in one year, Team India with its renewed confidence has committed itself to fulfill all dreams.”
Hitting out at the past regimes, PM Modi said, “Some people like to remain in ‘Nirasha’. And they are not satisfied till they have spoken about it to other people.”
The Prime Minister added that in 15 months, there is no allegation of corruption against my government and I am determined to end the termite of corruption.
Responding to opposition criticism that nothing is happening on the problem of black money, he said “some people love to spread pessimism” as he informed that about Rs 6500 cr of undeclared money has been disclosed during the compliance window provided by the government.”
“Some people are worried about tough law on black money; it has ensured that nobody dares to take black money out of the country. Corruption had become part of the system; contractors were running the nation; we have taken steps to correct the system,” said Modi
Towards the end, Modi added, “There should be momentum created for achievement of goals by 2022. When we celebrated 75th anniversary of freedom we should achieve targets.”
* My dear people of India, on this occasion my greetings to all of you. This is no ordinary morning. This is a morning of hope of the dreams and aspirations of 125 crore Indians.
* There is simplicity in every Indian and there is unity in every corner of India. This is the strength of India. If the unity of India is destroyed then the dreams of the people are also destroyed
* Be it casteism or communalism there is no place for them. In no way can they be tolerated.
* This is Team India, a team of 125 crore Indians. This is the Team that makes the Nation and takes our Nation to new heights.
* Jan Bhagidari is the biggest asset of a democracy. Be it MyGov, letters from citizens, Mann Ki Baat, communication with people – Jan Bhagidari is increasing.
* Nobody wants to remain poor. Those who are poor want to move away from poverty. That is why, all our programmes must be for the poor.
* There is a new atmosphere of trust.
* The doors of the banks were not open for the poor. We decided this must end. We wanted to strengthen financial inclusion. When the branch of a bank is built somewhere, people rejoice. But this is still easy. Getting people to those banks takes effort.
* Last year I was new here, what I hoped & dreamt of India, I put it forward. But now I want to tell you Team India has new confidence. I assure you that in one year, team India with its renewed confidence has committed itself to fulfill all dreams.
* Bank accounts are essential for integrating poor into the financial system, 17 crore people opened accounts under Jan Dhan Yojna.
* If the pyramid of development is strong and stands on financial stability then it will empower the poor. We introduced the ‘pradhanmantri beema yojna’ and ‘atal pension yojna’, we did what we promised.
* Last time from the Red Fort I spoke about toilets and cleanliness. People wondered what kind of PM is he, talking about these issues. but if there is something that has touched every person, it is the movement towards cleanliness. People from all walks of life, spiritual leaders, media friends, celebrities, everyone has worked to create awareness. Who has given maximum strength to Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan? It is the children of India.
* Some people like to remain in ‘Nirasha’. And they are not satisfied till they have spoken about it to other people.
* We affirm our commitment to provide electricity to all those villages that do not have electricity: PM
* We are looking at systems for enabling start-ups. We must be Number 1 in start-ups. ‘Start-up India’ & ‘Stand up India’.
* Agriculture Ministry to be renamed as Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer Welfare for institutionalised care of the farmers.
* The issue of ‘One Rank One Pension’ came up in front on every government. Some even made small promises. Issue could not be solved. I assure the servicemen and I am saying it under the Tricolour from the Red Fort- we have accepted OROP. we will have good news on the basis of talks are going.”
*Speaking of the various schemes implemented in the last one year, Modi said: All our programmes and institutions should be helpful to the poor; have to empower them through financial inclusion”
Modi said: # Almost 4.25 lakh toilets were built in 2.62 schools nationwide in one year; this gives self-confidence that we can do what we want.
# Rs 20,000 crore were deposited in 17 crore Jandhan bank accounts, says PM in Independence Day address.
# 20 lakh people have given up LPG subsidy, this is aimed at helping the poor.
# Coal block auction has been undertaken by the govt, national exchequer will get Rs 3 lakh crore.