Nagpur: October is globally observed as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. To mark this, a group of students, Harkishan Mamtani, Aishwarya Shah, Nikhil Dhimole, Mahak Sipani (all from GMCH Nagpur), and Chaman Mamtani (from Ramdeobaba College of Engineering), began this online awareness drive by creating an educational website for common people www.bcam16.ga , which was inaugurated by Union Minister of Surface Transport, Nitin Ji Gadkari.
According to these students, Breast cancer is most common cancer among women in cities. Also, it is the leading cause of cancer deaths among Indian females, accounting for nearly 70,000 deaths every year. But what might come as a relief is the fact that as many as 40% of these deaths can be easily prevented by early diagnosis. For this, awareness is the need of the hour, and the educational website deals with that.
To promote this website, these students are taking the help of social media, where people can voice their support for this awareness drive by changing their profile pictures, thereby helping in making the above website reach the masses, through this link: www.twibbon.com/support/breast-cancer-awareness-391 . This drive has been receiving tremendous response from people, with more than a thousand people already changing their profile pictures for this cause. Varoius prominent personalities from the society have supported this cause through their online portals, some of which are:
• Cricket commentator and Former Indian cricketer Aakash Chopra
• Cabinet Minister of Energy and State Excise (Govt. of Maharashtra) Chandrashekhar Bawankule
• Rajya Sabha Member of Parliament Ajay Sancheti
• Member of Legislative Assembly (East Nagpur) Krishna Khopde
• Member of Legislative Assembly (West Nagpur) Sudhakar Deshmukh
• Member of Legislative Assembly (Central Nagpur) Vikas Kumbhare
• Member of Legislative Council Prakash Gajbhiye
• Member of Legislative Council Nago Ganar
• International badminton player Arundhati Pantawane
• Stand up comedian Atul Khatri
• Lead actress on MTV Girls on Top Ayesha Adlakha
• Actor Sandesh Gour
• RJ Deepika from Radio city 91.1 FM
• RJ Payal from Radio city 91.1 FM
• Nagpur BJP Assistant Treasurer Vicky Kukreja
• Social worker Panju Totwani
All the above people have helped in promoting the website www.bcam16.ga through Facebook and Twitter. As more and more people voice their support through the below link, the educational website shall reach a wider audience, thereby increasing the awareness in the society. The link to show your support for this cause is: www.twibbon.com/support/breast-cancer-awareness-391 . The students have appealed to the students to participate in this drive in large number, so that better public health prevails.