| |
Published On : Sat, Sep 29th, 2018

NMC’s spl meet gives green signal to demolish flyover opposite Railway Station

Nagpur: The citizens of Second Capital City of Nagpur would soon witness the ‘gigantic infrastructure blunder’ called Railways Station Flyover to be demolished as the special general body meeting of Nagpur Municipal Corporation approved the proposal amid heated exchange of words between ruling and opposition members.

The special general body meeting of NMC was held on Saturday, September 29, at Town Hall, Mahal. Mayor Nanda Jichkar chaired the meeting. NMC has decided to demolish Railway Station Flyover situated in front of Ganesh Tekadi creating huge problem for smooth flow of traffic. NMC will assign the demolition work to Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Limited (MMRCL) having the requisite expertise. Maha Metro will develop 6 lane road from Jaistambh to ‘Loha Pul’ to decongest the traffic.

As the subject was taken up for discussion, the Leader of Opposition Tanaji Vanve demanded to hand over the entire task of demolition of flyoverand widening of the road to Maha Metro so that the problem will be solved at one go. “We are not opposed to development but nobody should be deprived of livelihood.

First the over 75 shopkeepers who have established their shops under the flyover should be rehabilitated suitably then only the proposal to demolish the flyover be approved. It was the disastrous decision to construct the flyover in front of Railway Station. The shopkeepers should be rehabilitated on the lines of Khowa and Paan Market,” he demanded.

After the short discussion, voting was held for the approval of the proposal. The voting showed 92 votes in favour of the proposal while 23 members voted against the proposal. Based on the majority, the Mayor announced approval of the proposal.

The flyover was constructed in the year 2008 and around 175 shops and a sulabh shauchalaya is situated its beneath. VNIT’s technical consultant suggested measures to avoid traffic chaos after opening of second phase of Ram Jhula. Railway Station shopkeepers have also supported the demolition of the flyover. They have demanded to rehabilitate them near railway station. They said that around 175 shops were constructed by the local body in the year 2008. However, only 100 shops are in working while remaining shops are closed. The shopkeepers had obtained loan from the banks for the purchase of shops from NMC and now, they do not have other sources to repay the loan and for their livelihood, they said

The subject of development of Orange City Street from Hotel Radisson Blu to Jaitala was also taken up in the special general body meeting. NMC has 30.49 hectare land over this stretch and Maha Metro will develop the land in phase-wise manner.

NMC will also transfer Netaji Market to Maha Metro for the construction of a station and commercial complex. NMC has already allotted school land situated at Munje Square to Metro.

Similarly, the issue of widening of Kelibag Road to CP and Berar College was also taken up. NMC has proposed 24 meter road to be constructed with an expenditure of Rs 122.14 crore. The State Government will contribute 70 per cent of the fund under Suvarna Jayant Nagarotthan Mahaabhiyan while remaining 30 per cent will born by NMC. The former Mayor Pravin Datke demanded that the 30 percent amount being borne by NMC should also be sought from Suvarna Jayant Nagarotthan Mahaabhiyan. He asked to prepare a proposal in this regard.

Stay Updated : Download Our App