Nagpur: Almost a year after the Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) elections in which several rebel Congress candidates contested, spoiling the performance of already emaciated party, the city Congress has served a showcause notice on former minister and senior Congress functionary Satish Chaturvedi. The civic polls were held in February last year.
The letter, signed by city Congress president Vikas Thakre on January 25, blamed Chaturvedi for fielding rebel candidates and campaigning for them in prabhags 30 and 24, and helping rival party in several other wards. The letter further said that many complaints were received from the party workers accusing Chaturvedi and his supporters of working against the party interests.
Thakre clearly said at the end of the letter that the notice was being served on a written instructions of state Congress president Ashok Chavan. The letter gave Chaturvedi a week’s time for reply and explain as to why disciplinary action may not be taken against him over the anti-party activities. Besides the charge of fielding and supporting rebels, he has also been charged with conspiring to sabotage civic election campaign meeting in the city by hurling ink on Chavan. Chaturvedi had warned of such an action at a meeting called by Chavan for fianlising party nominees for the NMC polls.
When asked for his response, Chaturvedi said he has not received any letter from the city until Saturday evening. “Even if such a letter is sent, it has no relevance because Thakre has no power to issue such a letter,” Chaturvedi said.
The former minister further said, “With no organizational elections held in the city unit, Thakre ceases to be the city president and has no power to issue a showcause notice to a senior member.