New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday chaired the 11th meeting of Inter-State Council in national capital New Delhi.
The meeting assumes significance in wake of the BJP-led NDA regime’s efforts to ensure the passage of the Good and Services Tax Bill in the Monsoon Session of Parliament beginning Monday.
In his remarks, the Prime Minister said:
* Our country’s internal security and the challenges faced need to be addressed today. Internal security cannot be strengthened unless intelligence sharing is the focus.
* Quite happy that the states have got 21% more funds than what they got last year
* Dr Ambedkar had said that improving society is as difficult as finding heaven. In the path to social welfare, there are fewer friends and more critics.
* The nation can only progress if the state governments and the Centre work shoulder to shoulder.
* We dont get a lot of opportunities where heads of the country and the states all come together. Atal Bihari Vajpayee said ‘for a big nation like India, debate, deliberation and discussion affect policies’.