Mumbai/Nagpur: A minor fire broke out at the Maharashtra secretariat ‘Mantralaya’ here on Tuesday due to a short circuit.
The fire broke out in a corridor of revenue department on the first floor, caused by a short circuit, a fire brigade official said.
Two fire tenders and as many water tankers were pressed into service and the fire was extinguished quickly, he said, adding there was no damage.
However, unlike the 2002 Mantralaya fire tragedy, this was a minor incident and did not cause any loss to life or property.
On June 21, 2012, a devastating fire engulfed the Maharashtra Mantralaya that claimed at least 5 lives and left several people with burn injuries. The fire also destroyed 63,349 files in the state secretariat.
According to a report, the Maharashtra Mantralaya has 2,500 to 3,000 employees and on any given day about 3,000 visitors.