Nagpur: The officials of Food and Drug Administration (FDA) conducted a surprise raid on Pan Shops, Pan Kiosks and Tea Kiosks selling tobacco products within 100 meters of school premises of various schools located at various areas in the city under section 13 of COTPA on February 6, 2015.
The action of FDA was taken under the directives of the Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products (Prohibition of Advertisement and Regulation of Trade and Commerce, Production, Supply and Distribution) Act, 2003 or COTPA enacted in 2003 to prohibit advertisement and regulation of tobacco business in India, which put restriction on tobacco products including cigarettes, gutka, panmasala (containing tobacco), cigar, cheroot, Beedi, Snuff, chewing tobacco, hookah, tooth powder containing tobacco. During the raid, tobacco products were also seized.
As per the gazette notification FSSA/Gazette/777-2013/7 dated July 18, 2013, Government of Maharashtra has imposed a ban on sale, distribution, storage and transport of food items like gutkha, scented tobacco, scented supari, (betelnut) scented paan masala etc for one year.
The Nagpur FDA, on a tip of, raided the premises of Ajay Pan Centre situated near Tata Parsi High School, Shukrawari Lake and during the inspection, the team found scented tobacco worth Rs 2065/-. The team also seized the scented tobacco worth Rs 2065/-.
Similar action was initiated against other pan-kiosks selling tobacco products near various schools in the city.
- 1. Ms Sandeep Pan Shop near Tata Parsi High School, Shukrawari Lake.
- 2. Ms Vijay Pan Centre near Tata Parsi High School, Shukrawari Lake.
- 3. Ms Amit Pan Centre near Bhavans High School, Civil Lines.
- 4. Ms Sunil Pan Shop near Bhavans High School, Civil Lines.
- 5. Ms Shahu Pan Centre near Bhavans High School, Civil Lines.
- 6. Ms Sanjay Pan Centre near Bhavans High School, Civil Lines.
- 7. Ms Shekhar Pan Centre near Bhavans High School, Civil Lines.
- 8. Ms Narendra Pan Mandir near New-English High School, Mahal.
- 9. Ms Masoom Pan Palace near New-English High School, Mahal.
10.Ms Radhey Pan Palace near Kamla Nehru High School, Sakardhara Sq.
11.Ms Sanket Pan Shop near Kamla Nehru High School, Sakardhara Sq.
12.Ms Paltan Pan Palace near Kamla Nehru High School, Sakardhara Sq.
The action was taken by FDA officials against all the above pan kiosks because they were located within 100 meters of School premises.
The team of officials who conducted the raid included Food Safety Officer A P Deshpande, P A Umap, A D Raut, V P Dhawad, G K Vasave, K R Gedam and Food Safety Officer of Vigilance Department L P Soyam. These officials undertook the action under the directions of Deputy Commissioner (FDA) S S Desai and under the guidance of Deputy Commissioner (FDA) N R Wakode.