Nagpur: On 11 Jun 2017 The Guards Regimental Centre is celebrating its Diamond Jubilee Celebration.
GUARDS Training Company was raised on 6 June 1950 at the Rajputana Rifle Training Centre in Delhi Cantonment. Sub Bhawar Singh with seventeen instructors and 25 recruits formed this company. The first Officer posted to the Training Company was Maj W.A.G Pinto (later Lt Gen). On 01 Dec 1954, the Training Company was designated as the GUARDS Training Wing. In 1956, orders were issued by Army Head Quarters for raising of GUARDS Training Centre. It was to be operative on 11 Jun 1956, at Kota. Lt Col Vithal Sathe was selected for the onerous task of raising the Training Centre.
The Centre was raised on 11 Jun 1956 and remained at Kota till October 1976. In keeping with Army Head Quarters policy of relocating Infantry Regimental Centres to the hinterland the Training Centre moved to its present location Kamptee-an old cantonment stretching over 7 Kms on the Souther Bank of the river Kanhan, and at a distance of 16 Kms from Orange City.