Mumbai/Nagpur: Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist David Coleman Headley, who is now an approver in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks case, started his deposition before a Special TADA Court via videoconferencing from a US jail, at daybreak on Monday.
Right at the start, Headley revealed that he was born on June 30, 1960 in the US and shifted to Pakistan later where his name was Daood Sayeed Gilani. Headley, 54, provided details of his passport and his seven-eight trips to Mumbai and one to New Delhi between 2006-2008 before the 26/11 attacks, including seven via Pakistan, one via UAE, and another trip to Mumbai in July 2009, after the terror attacks were executed.
Here are the details of what Headley revealed in his deposition
1. Headley said that all details except the place of birth, date of birth, mother’s nationality and passport number, were incorrect in his visa application. In essence, most of the information on his visa application was false so that he would not blow his cover.
2. After 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks , Headley visited India on 7 March 2009 from Lahore . His seven visits to India prior to the attack were directly from Pakistan and 1 from UAE.
3. Admitting he was a LeT operative, Headley name one Sajid Mir as his main contact in the terror group. He also revealed Sajid Mir wanted him to set up some business or office in India
4. Headley admitted that he was a true follower of the LeT and had changed his name from Dawood Gilani to David Coleman Headley for the purpose of acquiring a new passport to come to India.
5. Headley also revealed that he recced the vice president’s house in New Delhi, India Gate and the CBI headquarters.
6. Headley said it was LeT handler Sajid Mir who asked him to take general videos of Mumbai.
In December last year, Headley was pardoned by the court after her agreed to turn approver and appear before it connection with the 26/11 trials. His deposition is likely to unravel the conspiracy and nail Pakistan’s lies in connection with the attacks.
According to media reports on Sunday, Headley has reportedly confessed that 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks were masterminded by Pakistan’s terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba and had approval of Pak’s Inter-Service Intelligence (ISI).