Published On : Tue, May 5th, 2015

‘Daddy’ Gawli finally gets to go out on parole


Nagpur: The dreaded underworld don Daddy alias Arun Gawli was on Tuesday the May 5, 2015 released from Nagpur Central Jail on Parole. The Nagpur Bench of Bombay High Court had granted parole of 15-days to Arun Gawli to attend his son’s marriage.

Arun Gawli has been lodged in Nagpur Central Jail to serve a life sentence in a murder case. One of the conditions of the parole is that he will have to report to Agripada Police Station, Mumbai every alternate day till he is on parole. He will have to return to Nagpur Central Jail after 15 days.


The marriage of his son is slated to be held on May 9, 2015. Earlier Arun Gawli had applied for parole to the Divisional Commissioner, but it was rejected on various grounds. Later Gawli challenged the refusal of parole in the High Court. Subsequently on Thursday, the Court granted Arun Gawli a parole of 15 days. Since Friday was a Government Holiday, it was expected that Gawli would be released on Saturday. However, the papers signed by the Divisional Commissioner did not reach the jail authorities within the stipulated period which deferred his release on parole to Tuesday, the May 5, 2015.

The well wishers, the near and dear one of Arun Gawli had gathered outside the Nagpur Central Jail in large numbers with a fleet of cars and other vehicles. However, only Daddy’s brother, son, four lawyers and a few supporters were allowed at the main entry gate.

arun gawali jail

Exactly at 1:15 pm, Arun Gawli stepped out of the jail in spot-less white Kurta-Pajama attire, the typical white Gandhi Cap which is his trade-mark. As soon as he came out, his supporters surrounded him and whisked him away to a black coloured car.

After seeing a large number of media personnel and camera-men, Gawli wanted to talk to them, but his supporters prevented him and forced him to sit in the car. Immediately the car sped away in the Rahate Colony direction. His car was followed by a convoy of cars and motorcycles of his supporters. Gawli directly went to his relatives in Ramnagar area and had meal and a siesta there.

Due to the delay in the paperwork for the release of Arun Gawli, many relatives and family members of other prisoners had to wait for nearly four hours to meet their inmates.