Published On : Sun, Jun 5th, 2016

Accused hangs self in Sitabuldi police station, CID to probe cause

Nagpur: In an incident that occurred at Sitabuldi Police Station, an accused who was nabbed and brought to the Police Station for bag-lifting committed suicide by hanging himself using his own shirt at around 11:50 pm on June 4, 2016.

IMG_6076According to Assistant Commissioner of Police Ingole, the cops of Sitabuldi Police Station received a call at 10 pm on June 4, 2016 reporting that the authorities and the patients of Care Hospital in Dhantoli area have nabbed a man who had attempted to run away with a bag of one of the patients.

Since the Beat Marshals were present in the Police Station, the Duty Officer Woman Police Sub Inspector M H Waghade sent the Beat Marshals to bring the accused to Sitabuldi Police Station.  The Beat Marshals nabbed the accused and were bringing him to the Police Station. Enroute the accused tried to escape by jumping from the vehicle. However, the Beat Marshals chased him and brought him to Sitabuldi Police Station. He was made to sit near the Duty Officer. The Duty Officer had called the Manager of Care Hospital to lodge the complaint.

Preliminary enquiry revealed that the accused, identified as Rakesh Sheshrao Mende aged 32 years and a resident of Dhammadeep Nagar, IBM Road, Gittikhadan had snatched a ladies bag (assuming the bag to have some cash) in Care Hospital premises and run away. However, when the lady raised an alarm, the other relatives of patients and authorities of Care Hospital managed to nab him as he stumbled and fell down. The people thrashed him. The authorities of Care Hospital reported the matter to Sitabuldi Police Station who came and took the accused to Sitabuldi Police Station.

The Manager of Care Hospital, Rajesh Sharma came to the Sitabuldi Police Station at 11:45 pm. Duty Officer (Sitabuldi Police Station) Police Sub Inspector M H Waghade was taking down the complaint, when the accused asked permission to go and ease himself. She permitted him and the accused went to the toilet.

When the accused did not come for a long time, the Duty Officer sent a police constable to bring him back. However, when the Police Constable opened the door, he found the accused hanging from the window of the toilet using his own shirt.

The Duty Officer rushed to the spot and got the accused down and rushed to Indira Gandhi Government Medical College and Hospital (Mayo). The accused was rushed to X-Ray Department where an X-Ray was taken followed by Electro Cardio Gram (ECG). The ECG showed that the accused had died. The doctors declared him dead at around 12:14 am.

Meanwhile the Duty Officer had immediately informed all the Senior Police Officials. All the Senior Police Officials including Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime) Ranjan Sharma, Deputy Commissioner of Police Shailesh Balkawde, Deputy Commissioner of Police Deepali Masirkar, Assistant Commissioner of Police Ingole and In-Charge of Sitabuldi Police Station PI Bandiwar reached Sitabuldi Police Station.

Adhering to the Supreme Court’s directives, the investigation was immediately handed over to the State Central Investigation Department (CID). The officials of State Investigation Department immediately arrived and took over the entire investigation.

The body was kept in the mortuary. Till the time of filing the story, the post mortem was underway (which started early in the morning) under the supervision of three senior Doctors (Forensic) from GMCH as well as IGGMCH and under the watch of Judicial Magistrate First Class Justice Bedarkar. The directives of Supreme Court to videograph the entire post mortem is also adhered to.

The cops of Sitabuldi Police Station have since informed all the details of the case to

  1. National Human Rights Commission
  2. State Human Rights Commission
  3. Additional Chief Secretary Home, Government of Maharashtra
  4. Director General Police, Government of Maharashtra.

IMG_6078While speaking to Nagpur Today, Deputy Commissioner of Police Shailesh Balkawde said that the accused had criminal antecedents too since there were cases registered against the accused under Sections 354 and 379 of Indian Penal Code in Gittikhadan Police Station and Ambazhari Police Station.

On being informed, the wife of the deceased accused (Rakesh Sheshrao Mende) identified as Aruna Rakesh Mende arrived at IGGMCH. While speaking to Nagpur Today, Aruna Mende said that her husband Rakesh Mende had fought with her, broken her mobile and left the home on Friday June 3, 2016 itself and had not returned home since. The wife said that she was not even allowed to see the body of her husband. The wife was accompanied by the elder brother of the accused identified as Rajesh Mende, and her brother Deepak. As usual, the relatives of the deceased accused have alleged of suspected foul play. The relatives have also demanded a suitable compensation from the government to the wife since the accused has twin children (a boy and a girl).